There is a point every Haverhill winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could possibly be originating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air seeping into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help cut back and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts might be originating from and why. Here are some useful tips to find your Haverhill home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Examine for gaps and cracks in strange locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic doors or just the typical windows with operable capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Inspect to confirm that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by establishing if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only function as well as it is positioned.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Haverhill to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Haverhill a call at 978-373-2500 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.